Football: Pre-game Notes
Griffith Panthers (7-1, 6-0 GSSC) at Hanover Central Wildcats (5-3, 3-3 GSSC)
Kickoff/Location: 7pm CDT, Wildcat Den, Hanover Central HS, Cedar Lake
Griffith, 75.23, 44th overall, 7th in Class 4A.
Hanover Central, 43.55, 171st overall, 29th in Class 3A..
Hanover Central 21, South Central 14
Griffith 62, Lake Station Edison 0
2017 vs. common opponents:
Whiting (HC lost 40-26, Griffith won 48-9)
River Forest (HC won 34-0, Griffith won 42-0)
Calumet New Tech (HC won 57-12, Griffith won 60-0)
Wheeler (HC lost 31-14, Griffith won 48-0)
Boone Grove (HC lost 15-7, Griffith won 55-12)
South Central (HC won 21-14, Griffith won 53-10)
Lake Station Edison (HC won 41-0, Griffith won 62-0)
Pete Koulianos, 21-8 in 3rd year at Hanover Central.
Ben Geffert, 19-12 in 3rd year at Griffith.
HC all-time record vs. Griffith: This is the first-ever meeting between the schools.
A look back at last year’s Week 9 game:
(October 14, 2016) Trailing at halftime for a second straight week, HC scored 21 points in the second half to beat North Newton 21-7. The win gave the Wildcats the Greater South Shore Conference South Division title and allowed them to win the mythical outright conference title (both divisions award champions, Whiting won the North). Senior RB Dustin Lindley had 106 yards and 3 TDs as the Wildcats moved to 9-0 overall. Head coach Pete Koulianos told the NWI Times, “We try to represent our community the best way we can. What a great win for the program, and what a great win for the community. I’m so proud of our kids.” It was North Newton’s last game in the Greater South Shore Conference. The Spartans left for the Midwest Conference in 2017, replaced by Griffith.
- Friday night is Senior Night at the Wildcat Den. HC will honor its football seniors: Wyatt Chalos, James De Lange, Cody Eby, Tyler Ewing, Joe Garling, David Krueger, CJ Laurinaitis, John Miller, Jose Sanchez, Austin Sheppard, Seth Tinsley, Caleb Tsoukalis, Jacob Wienke, and Bonscott Young.
- The Class of 2018 is the first senior class since the Class of 1972 to experience varsity football for all four years of high school.
- Hanover Central is 2-1 in Senior Night games since varsity football returned in 2014. The Wildcats lost to Wheeler 45-0 in 2014, defeated North Newton 28-21 in 2015, and beat Wheeler 32-14 last season.
- Hanover is 14-4 at the Wildcat Den since football returned to HCHS in 2014.
- The Wildcats have outgained all but one opponent in total yardage this season. Only Boone Grove gained more yards in a game against HC.
- Griffith is the first Class 4A opponent Hanover Central has faced since varsity football returned in 2014.
- Griffith has one of the most successful football programs in Northwest Indiana. Since they started football in 1934, the Panthers have won 15 conference titles, 14 Sectionals, 5 Regionals, and a State Championship in 1997.
- The Panthers have outscored their eight GSSC opponents by an average score of 46-4. Their only loss this season was a Week 1 loss at Class 5A Michigan City 25-20.
- Two weeks ago, in a 53-10 win over South Central, Griffith Senior QB Fred Winston broke the school’s all-time career record for pass yards. Winston has thrown for over 2,200 yards as a Panther.
- Griffith is 11-1 against conference opponents since the start of the 2016 season. The 2016 season was played in the Northwest Crossroads Conference (Griffith was the NCC champ). Their last conference loss was at Hobart 22-7 on September 2, 2016.
- While most Wildcat fans are well aware of Griffith’s football success the last two seasons, they may not be aware that when the school made the decision to move to the GSSC (June 2016), Griffith was coming off four straight losing seasons, including a 1-9 campaign in 2014.
- Griffith’s 48.5 points per game ranks 9th in the state, and their 41.5 point average margin of victory ranks 4th. The Panthers are ranked #10 in the AP 4A “Media” Poll, #12 in the IFCA Coaches Poll.
A PEEK AHEAD:
- The IHSAA’s 45th State Football Tournament kicks off on Friday, October 20th. In Class 3A Sectional 25, Hanover Central will travel to Andrean for a first-ever meeting between the two schools. In Class 4A Sectional 17, Griffith hosts Hammond.
# # #