Football: Pre-game Notes
Boone Grove (3-1, 1-1 GSSC) at Hanover Central Wildcats (3-1, 2-0 GSSC)
September 14, 2018
Kickoff/Location: 7pm CDT, Wildcat Den, Hanover Central HS, Cedar Lake
Hanover Central, 40.14, 201st overall, 38th in 3A.
Boone Grove, 49.15, 158th overall, 21st in 2A
Media & other polls: HC is ranked #10 in the Region Sports Network Top 10. Boone Grove is ranked #8 in that same poll. The Wolves are ranked #16 in the AP state Class 2A poll (“media poll”). Boone Grove is ranked #1 in the Prep Football Report “Little 5” poll of smaller NWI schools, and Hanover is right behind them at #2.
Hanover Central 26, River Forest 20
Boone Grove 63, Lake Station Edison 0
Brian Parker, 3-1 in his 1st year at Hanover Central
Dan Kukulski, 11-5 in 2nd year at Boone Grove.
HC all-time record vs. Boone Grove: 1-3
Series last four seasons:
2017: HC loss, 15-7
2016: HC win, 35-7
2015: HC loss, 23-20
2014: HC loss, 20-9
A look back at last year’s game:
(September 15, 2017) Boone Grove—which would advance to a 2A sectional championship game later in the season—remained unbeaten in conference play, beating Hanover 15-7 at Valparaiso HS. The loss snapped HC’s 15-game regular season winning streak. The Wolves executed a ball-control game plan to perfection, winning time-of-possession 29:27 to 18:33. When HC did manage to take over possession, they could not solve a stingy Wolves defense that held Hanover to 115 yards of offense (the Wildcats came into the contest averaging 377 yards per game). Wildcat QB James De Lange came into the contest averaging 151 ypg rushing, but was held to just 12 yards on 20 carries, and was sacked four times. Bonscott Young’s 35 yard TD run (De Lange PAT) was the only scoring for HC.
- Hanover Central is 3-1 in Homecoming games since varsity football returned in 2014. The Wildcats defeated South Central 21-14 in 2017, beat Wheeler 32-14 in 2016, beat South Central 35-21 in 2015, and lost to Wheeler 45-0 in 2014.
- Hanover QB Tyler Fruehling’s 16 yard TD pass to Jack Kuiper with just :47 remaining in the game gave HC a 26-20 win over River Forest last week. It was the Wildcats’ first win when trailing after the 3rd quarter since October 7, 2016 at South Central. That night, trailing 20-13 after the 3rd, the Wildcats erupted for 28 points in the 4th quarter to win 41-20. Since the return of varsity football in 2014, HC has won four times when trailing after the 3rd quarter. The other two came in back-to-back 2014 wins at Bishop Noll and against Lake Station Edison.
- Fruehling’s 150 yards rushing in last week’s win at River Forest marked the first time a Wildcat went over the 100 yard mark since a September 8, 2017 win over River Forest, almost a year to the day (QB James De Lange, 122 yards). HC has not a had a running back hit the century mark since a 2016 sectional opener win over Hammond, when Bonscott Young rushed for 100 yards.
- Hanover is 16-6 at the Wildcat Den since football returned to HCHS in 2014.
- Boone Grove’s 3-1 record is deceiving. The Greater South Shore Conference voted to declare their 27-13 loss to Whiting official, despite only playing one quarter. That September 1st game was delayed by lightning, and school officials were unable to reschedule the game in large part due to Boone Grove’s lack of a home football stadium of their own (they rent Valparaiso High School’s).
- Boone Grove’s 40.5 points per game average ranks 27th-best in the state of Indiana, and 6th in Class 2A.
- Wolves junior RB Braeton Vann’s 684 yards rushing and 171 yards-per-game average is 13th best in the state of Indiana and best in NW Indiana, according to stat service MaxPreps. He is averaging a remarkable 18 yards-per-carry (38 carries), and his 11 rushing TDs are tied for 3rd-best in the state.
- The Wolves are led defensively by senior LB Brian Spears, averaging 10 tackles per game, with 10 tackles for loss.
Elsewhere in the GSSC:
River Forest (0-4, 0-2) at South Central (1-3, 0-1)
Wheeler (2-1, 0-1) at Griffith (2-2, 2-0)
Whiting (4-0, 2-0) at Lake Station Edison (0-4, 0-2)
Calumet New Tech (3-1, 1-1) was unable to find a replacement for its game against Bishop Noll, and will not play this weekend.
# # #