Football: Pre-game Notes
Hanover Central Wildcats (4-4, 3-3 GSSC) at Griffith Panthers (6-2, 6-0 GSSC)
October 12, 2018
Kickoff/Location: 7pm CDT, “The Boneyard,” Griffith Central High School
Address: 598 N. Raymond St., Griffith, IN 46319
Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/M8iAuRgtB7P2
Hanover Central, 33.19, 220th overall, 46th in 3A.
Griffith, 53.19, 131st overall, 36th in 4A.
Hanover Central 54, South Central 21
Griffith 55, Lake Station Edison 0
Brian Parker, 4-4 in his 1st year at Hanover Central.
Ben Geffert, 28-15 in his 4th year at Griffith.
2018 vs. common opponents:
Boone Grove (HC lost 41-26, Griffith won 29-14)
Lake Station Edison (HC won 65-0, Griffith won 55-0)
River Forest (HC won 26-20, Griffith won 48-6)
South Central (HC won 54-21, Griffith won 41-0)
Wheeler (HC lost 16-14, Griffith won 53-17)
Whiting (HC lost 61-0, Griffith lost 30-6)
HC all-time record vs. Griffith: 0-1
All-time series results:
2017: HC loss, 56-21
A look back at last year’s game:
(October 13, 2017) Griffith’s first year in the GSSC concluded with a 7-0 record in conference play, beating Hanover 56-21 on Senior Night at the Wildcat Den. Griffith never trailed and put up 518 yards of offense, the most against Hanover in 2017. Trailing 21-0 in the 2nd quarter, Hanover mounted its most successful drive of the day. A 3-yard James De Lange QB keeper capped an 80 yard drive to make it 21-7. But the Panthers responded with two TD’s in a span of 31 seconds. Griffith led 35-7 at the half. Freshman Adam Graham and WR Brandon Demoff had 40 yards rushing to lead HC. QB James De Lange was 12/22 for 223 yards passing. Demoff had 86 yards receiving. Brett Driscoll had 9 tackles and a sack to lead the defense. Freshman QB Blaze Cano threw a 5 yard TD pass to Bryan Hoover, and Graham had a 12 yd TD run.
- Hanover Central is 3-5 all time in regular season finale games. The wins came against West Central (1969) and North Newton (2015 and 2016), and the losses were against Kankakee East Ridge (1968), West Central (1970 and 1971), North Newton, (2014) and Griffith (2017).
- HC’s 265 yards passing against South Central last week were the most by the Wildcats this season. QB Tyler Fruehling threw for 166 yards and 2 TD’s and Blaze Cano added 99 yards and 1 TD.
- Last week’s 54-21 win over South Central was just the sixth time in school history the Wildcats scored 50 points or more in a game, and the first time an HC team has done it twice in a season (65-0 win over Lake Station Edison in Week 3).
- Hanover senior WR/LB Brandon Demoff has become the first receiver in the modern-era to break the 1,000 yard mark in receiving yards. He currently sits at 1,058. Demoff broke the school’s record1 in career yardage last season and it isn’t close: the receiver with the second-most career yards1 is Bobby Nowak (2015, 2016) with 363. Demoff is also the Wildcats’ career receiving TD leader with 6.
- Junior RB/LB Brett Driscoll had 11 tackles in last week’s win over South Central. His 76 tackles this season are a new modern-era single-season school record1, surpassing David Krueger’s 68 tackles in 2016. Driscoll’s 76 tackles are 3rd-best in NW Indiana, behind only Jackson Meloy (South Central, 92) and Michael Dywan (Munster, 78).
- Griffith is the only Class 4A school on Hanover’s schedule this season, and they are the only Class 4A school in the GSSC. Griffith played 5A Michigan City in Week 1 (loss, 53-0), and will not face its first Class 4A opponent until sectional play.
- Based on total offensive yards, Griffith’s production is 60% run, 40% pass. Hanover Central’s is 53% pass, 47% run.
- Griffith has clinched the GSSC South Division title and will earn a conference champion trophy. The GSSC awards two conference trophies each year to each division champion.
- Griffith’s only two losses this year are to Michigan City and Whiting. The loss to Whiting does not count as a conference loss. A GSSC rule dictates that all games in Weeks 1 and 2 are considered non-conference, even if a team plays a GSSC opponent.
- Griffith’s average margin of victory is 34 points this season.
- The Panthers are led by sophomore dual-threat QB Carson Crowe, who leads the team in both passing yards (722, 90 ypg) and rushing yards (640, 80 ypg). Senior RB Ernest Johnson is also a playmaker, leading the team in scoring (9 rushing TDs, 1 receiving TD).
- Griffith has one of the most successful football programs in Northwest Indiana. Since they started football in 1934, the Panthers have won 16 conference titles, 14 Sectionals, 5 Regionals, and a State Championship in 1997.
1 – Statistics from 1968-71 are not available.
(Stats courtesy MaxPreps.)
A PEEK AHEAD:
- The IHSAA’s 46th State Football Tournament kicks off on Friday, October 19th. In Class 3A Sectional 25, Hanover Central will host Wheeler for a rematch of the Wildcats’ September 28th 16-14 loss. In Class 4A Sectional 17, Griffith hosts Gary West Side.
Elsewhere in the GSSC:
Calumet New Tech (5-2, 3-2) at Wheeler (4-3, 2-3)
River Forest (2-6, 1-4) at Whiting (8-0, 5-0)
South Central (2-6, 1-4) at Boone Grove (6-2, 3-2)
Lake Station Edison (0-8, 0-6) was unable to find a replacement for its game against Bishop Noll, and will not play this weekend.
# # #