Football: Pre-game Notes
South Central Satellites (2-6, 2-4 Greater South Shore Conf.) at Hanover Central Wildcats (5-3, 4-1 Greater South Shore Conf.)
Friday, October 18, 2019
Kickoff/Location: 7pm CDT, Wildcat Den, Hanover Central HS, Cedar Lake
If you can’t make it:
Facebook Live video stream: facebook.com/HanoverCentralFootball
Periodic score tweets: twitter.com/hanoverwildcats
Periodic radio correspondent reports: 89.1 FM Lakeshore Gamenight, Lakeshore Public Radio, lakeshorepublicradio.org
Hanover Central, 46.36, 149th overall, 29th in 3A.
South Central, 14.53, 268th overall, 38th in 1A.
Brian Parker, 10-9 in his 2nd year at Hanover Central.
Buzz Schoff, 9-20 in his 3rd year at South Central.
2019 vs. common opponents:
Boone Grove (HC lost 42-13, South Central lost 53-0)
Wheeler (HC won 17-7, South Central lost 28-7)
River Forest (HC won 33-8, South Central lost 20-10)
HC all-time record vs. South Central: 4-1
Series last five seasons:
2018: HC win, 54-21
2017: HC win, 21-14
2016: HC win, 41-20
2015: HC win, 35-21
2014: HC loss, 28-7
A look back at last year’s game:
(October 5, 2018) Hanover scored on all but three possessions en route to 450 total yards and a 54-21 win over the Satellites in Union Mills. The Wildcats punted just once all night, and never trailed. Brandon Demoff weaved his way to a highlight reel-worthy 54 yard punt return TD. Max Warchol blocked a punt, Connor Wotherspoon scooped it and returned it for a touchdown. Tyler Fruehling threw for 166 yards and 2 TD’s and added 63 rushing yards. Backup QB Blaze Cano added 99 yards and 1 touchdown passing. Bryan Hoover was the leading receiver, finishing with 104 yards and 1 TD. Brett Driscoll finished with 74 rushing yards, 1 rushing TD, 77 receiving yards and two TD catches. Adam Graham scored two short yardage rushing touchdowns out of the wildcat formation.
- This is the regular season finale for the Wildcats. South Central becomes the third Week 9 regular season finale opponent in the six seasons of the modern era (North Newton 2014-16, Griffith 2017-18).
- Hanover is 2-3 in Week 9 regular season finale games in the modern era.
- Friday night is Senior Night at the Wildcat Den. HC will honor its football seniors: Kyle Anderson, Ryan Breedlove, Brett Driscoll, Austin Foster, Tyler Fruehling, Jack Kuiper, and Michael Simon. The seniors and their parent/guardian(s) will be introduced to fans prior to the game.
- A few seniors have left their marks in the modern-era record books for Hanover (2014-present, records from 1968-71 are unavailable). Brett Driscoll holds the career mark for tackles with 200 entering Friday’s game. Tyler Fruehling holds the career marks for TD passes (21) and passing yards (1,828). Jack Kuiper is Hanover’s school leader in interceptions with ten.
- The Class of 2020 was in 6th grade in 2013 when Hanover Central fielded its first football team since 1971 (JV schedule), and in 7th grade in 2014 when the Wildcats went varsity. As freshmen, Driscoll, Fruehling, Kuiper, and Simon were members of the 2016 GSSC Championship team.
- Seniors from other programs being honored Friday night: “The Pride,” the HCHS marching band, Cheerleading, Girls Golf, and PomCats.
- Hanover Central is 2-3 in Senior Night games since varsity football returned in 2014. The Wildcats lost to Wheeler 45-0 in 2014, defeated North Newton 28-21 in 2015, beat Wheeler 32-14 in 2016, lost to Griffith 56-21 in 2017, and lost to Wheeler 16-14 last season.
- Last week, junior QB Brady Glisic ran for 122 yards passed for 82 yards, and accounted for four TD’s in South Central’s 48-12 win over Bishop Noll. The Satellites have not made their complete season stats available via HS stat website maxpreps.com, but through four games, senior RB Zack Christy was averaging 130 yards per game rushing.
- Buzz Schoff is the 7th South Central head coach in the last 11 seasons. He is the first head coach to have led three consecutive seasons in Union Mills since 2007-09 (Jud Tolmen).
- There will not be a junior varsity game this Saturday.
- The IHSAA’s 47th State Football Tournament kicks off on Friday, October 25th. In Class 3A Sectional 25, Hanover Central visits Twin Lakes (Monticello). In Class 1A Sectional 41, South Central visits West Central (Francesville). To see Hanover’s Sectional 25 bracket, click here (John Harrell).
Elsewhere in the GSSC:
Boone Grove at Whiting
Griffith at Wheeler
Bishop Noll at Calumet New Tech
River Forest at Roosevelt
South Newton at Lake Station Edison
# # #